Friday, September 07, 2007

Grandparents

Today at the school where my children attend, they are celebrating Grandparents Day. Savannah and Levi are so excited about their Nana & Papa and Maw-Maw & Paw-Paw coming to eat lunch with them. In fact, I'm excited about it too. I am so thankful that my children have grandparents, especially grandparents that care for them. [Savannah and Levi still have 6 of their 8 great-grandparents living...and up until this past December, the number was 7!] In fact, I can see now, more than ever, the wonderful role grandparents (and the rest of the extended family) play in a child's life. I was fortunate to have aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, etc. who cared for me and loved me. It gave me a sense of what a true family is. Of course, I'm so thankful for my parents (who are now the grandparents!) who reared me.

Now I know this post is "mushy," etc., but if God blessed you with a wonderful family, take a moment and thank Him! Thank Him for the parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, step-dads, step-moms, etc. that love(d) you. Thank God for the children He has given you. Thank God even if your family is not what it should have been...in other words, thank Him for the opportunity He has given you to do the right thing. And of course, thank God for your spouse or significant other, for you never know when "death may part you."

Oh, by the way, my grandmother's cooking is better than your grandmother's cooking!

5 comments:

Philip said...

"Oh, by the way, my grandmother's cooking is better than your grandmother's cooking!"

I don't think I've had your grandmother's cooking, but I KNOW you've had mine. So, I'll give you a moment to reflect, remember Grannie's corn dodgers, turnip greens, etc. and then retract your statement. Or am I gonna have to call Bobby, Jeff, Sonya, and a host of others to rain down the ire of the Griffith family upon your inflammatory and hateful thoughts? Ninth Circus Court of Appeals, here we come!!

Bro. Matt said...

Isn't your grandmother, my grandmother twice removed?

Kristin said...

"Oh, by the way, my grandmother's cooking is better than your grandmother's cooking!"

Yeah right!

and my grandfather can beat up your grandfather.... Oh wait... he's dead.

Philip said...

"Isn't your grandmother, my grandmother twice removed?"

Yes, she has TWICE requested your removal - from the planet. Don't insult her cooking. She takes it seriously!

Bro. Matt said...

My dog pees more in my house than your dog does!!!