Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Charlie Leroy Vaughn

My grandfather, known as "Gramps" to us, died this morning from a heart attack. He was a godly man and was blessed with 94 years of life. Jesus saved Gramps when he was young and was truly his Lord and Savior. Gramps probably knew more hymns than anyone I knew. In fact, he was constantly picking a hymn for Jennifer to play that she had never heard of! Of course, he seemed to think that was funny, but I'm not sure about her...haha. Gramps was "old-school" in that he never questioned whether or not the Bible was God's Word..."of course, it's God's Word, that's what it says, isn't it?" He taught me at a very young age to enjoy sorghum syrup, cane syrup, cured hams, and all those other old country foods. And to this day...I still eat that stuff...He also taught me the importance of being faithful to God. And yes, I know Gramps was not perfect, but he took his relationship with the Lord seriously. He loved the Lord, his family, and his church. He also loved his wife, "Maw-Maw." They had been married 70 years and 8 months. Now I worry about her and how she will respond to this sudden change (she is 92). Well, I don't know if any of this makes sense, and I don't really feel like going back over it to proof read it, but I do know that Gramps loved God and his family. And we loved Gramps. I'm so happy to have all the memories I do of him...but I'm sad that he's gone. I'm going to miss him a lot, but I do know that one day I will see him again for Jesus Christ is my Savior too!

Also, check out my uncle's blog (Robert's Vaughn - Seeking The Old Paths) to see more about my grandfather.

[If you would like to know how to have Jesus as your Lord and Savior, check out this web page
www.ebenezermbc.com. Click on the salvation tab and read the Scriptures and explanations listed.]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your loss, but happy for Heaven! Sounds like he was some kind of man! God Bless!

DarrenB said...

Found a card down at their house that was a birthday card (or Christmas) for Gramps that was from me. However, it was mama's handwriting and it wasn't addressed to Gramps, but to "Pa-Paw" or something to that effect. I remembered as a little kid calling him something other than Gramps, but couldn't remember what it was. Gramps took hold later on. Interesting...