Saturday, May 26, 2007

Does Theology Matter?

It seems that in our current evangelical culture the "does it work?" question or even the "is it cool?" question comes before the "is it right or true?" question. Obviously questions of practicality and theology are essential. The problem is the order. Many rush into the practical or the hip. If the practical starts working or the hip gains a following, then we take a breath and search for the Bible verse, Old Testament Narrative, Proverb, etc. that legitimizes our practice. In an age where sermons are more about "how to's," corvettes, and "come on the journey with me" the question begs to be asked, "Is this the kind of preaching that turned the world upside-down?" When so many are dragged away by pragmatism and pop-cultural fads that are baptized as evangelical, but lead ultimately to liberalism or worse, the question begs to be asked, "Does theology really matter?" (taken from www.sbcwitness.com)

4 comments:

Bro. Matt said...

Well, I thought I would change up the posts for a while. There should be come more good, controversial posts next week.

Bro. Matt said...

"some" not "come"

Sorry, it's getting late.

Philip said...

The sad thing is that in the "Modern Evangelical Movement" (aka-new nondenominationals, West Coast Christianity-my name for the TBN culture, and the like)speaking out against a false teacher is discouraged. They site Biblical examples like David's respect for an obviously wicked Saul as proof that even a leader in error MUST be respected as God's chosen.
I have a good friend out west who told me flat-out that he didn't want to hear any more of my theological disagreements with Benny Hinn, Rod Parsley, or Jesse Duplantis. Even though he admittedly disagreed with some of these SAME issues he refused to "slander God's elect." I was warned of the wrath that God would pour down on me if I continued to call them heretics. I asked him why he felt they were untouchable, and all he could say was that God's annointing was upon them. Sounds to me like they're using some good old-fashioned, time-tested fear tactics to keep the faithful in line. Sad.

Bro. Matt said...

So, I guess Paul was out of line for correcting Peter on an issue that was not even, "technically," doctrine. And Christ was out of line for exposing the Pharisees, etc. for who they were. Hmmm...well, that is very interesting.