Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Political Hypocrisy

[The following excerpt is taken from the June 14-21 issue of World Magazine.]

"The IRS concluded that Wiley Drake, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Beuna Park, California, acted as an individual and not as a representative of his church when he endorsed presidential candidate Mike Huckabee last summer in a press release and on his radio show. The ruling means the church's tax-exempt status is not in danger."

Now for my thoughts:
You have got to be kidding me. The IRS seriously investigated this man? What a ridiculous way to spend taxpayers' dollars. Furthermore, if they investigated pastor Drake, why are they not investigating men like Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Priest Michael Pfleger, Rev. Jesse Jackson, and Rev. Al Sharpton?!? Oh, I forget, the above mentioned men are of the liberal persuasion thus they can do no wrong.

As for myself, I do not endorse any candidate from the pulpit, however, I will speak with you after the service and tell you what I think about a candidate. And yes, I have that right as a U.S. citizen (remember, the first amendment?). Furthermore, I unashamedly speak about ISSUES from the pulpit. And yes, that is legal! (If you do not believe me, then check the laws. I have researched this issue and a church is 100% lawful in speaking for/against the issues. The only restriction in this arena is in the endorsing of a candidate - which is still debated in some areas.) The IRS cannot stop a person from doing such, for we as Americans have freedoms, and we as Christians have an obligation to speak out against sin of all kind. For example, I have preached against same-sex marriage, yet at the same pulpit I have preached that we should be a good citizen of our country.

May God have mercy on our nation.

"Providence has given our people the choice of their rulers,and it is the duty, as well as privilege and interest,of a Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers." - John Jay

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!

Stubb82 said...

Amen Brother!!